What I'm Learning in Rome

Livia Molinaro

We can’t forget the ‘study’ part of ‘study abroad!’

When thinking about which classes to take in Rome, I decided to branch out and take classes that are completely different than my major. Since study abroad is such a special opportunity, I figured it would be a once in a lifetime chance to learn about Roman history and the legacy of the Catholic Church while actually living in Rome. The classes I am taking are: Latin EpigraphyContemporary Issues in the Catholic ChurchEmpire Building: The History and Myth of Ancient RomeItalian Language; and Mystics, Philosophers, Saints, and Sinners: the Tradition of the Roman Catholic Church. Exploring these different fields of study has been a new learning experience for me.

These classes incorporate some really cool field trips and field studies that actually take you where the history you have been studying was made. Witnessing some sites like the Roman Forum and the tomb of St. Paul firsthand have really put a new perspective on the reality and influence of the topics that I am learning about. Getting to practice my Italian firsthand after learning in the classroom has also been a unique, immersive experience. While watching this video, hopefully you will get a little taste of what it’s like to be a study abroad student in Rome!