Begin Your Life-Changing Adventure!
Applying to an IES Abroad program is your first step in this amazing journey. We look forward to working with you. If you have any questions during the application process, contact your IES Abroad Representative at 800.995.2300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you begin your online application, please review the specific admission requirements for the program in which you are interested. Click the Application Requirements link on the program page for more information.
Your home school might have an early application deadline or may require you to meet with an advisor before applying to IES Abroad--make sure to discuss your plans with your on-campus advisor and your study abroad office before submitting this online application.
Also, make sure you apply well before the IES Abroad application deadline.
Start by gathering all of the information you will need to complete the online application. This includes:
- Your contact information (home and school)
- Valid email address and phone number where we can reach you
- Current cumulative GPA
- Passport number, if you already have one. If you are currently applying for or renewing your passport, you can provide us with this information after you apply.
- List of courses you are currently taking
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses for two emergency contacts. Your primary emergency contact must be a parent or legal guardian.
Please note that you will be able to save your application information and come back to it. Once you have submitted your application online, you will receive a confirmation email and your MyIESAbroad account will show that you have completed the Student Information Page.
Send the following documents to us to complete your application. Unless otherwise indicated, these can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 312.944.1448.
- Authorization and Evaluation Form, signed by your home school study abroad office. Alternatively, your study abroad office may use our online Partner Portal to authorize your application electronically.
- Official transcript(s) from each institution of higher education you have attended.
Paper transcripts should be sent to us at:
IES Abroad Enrollment Management
33 W. Monroe St., Suite 2300
Chicago, IL 60603-5045
Official electronic transcripts issued directly from the Office of the Registrar are acceptable and can be emailed to admissions@IESabroad.org.
As we receive a high volume of application materials every day, please be patient with us as we process yours. You will receive an email when your materials are logged in your account.
In addition to the documents above, the following may also be required to complete your application:
- Foreign Language Assessment Form (if you are applying to a program with a language study prerequisite)
- Professor Recommendation Form (if your cumulative GPA is under 3.0)
- Personal Statement (if your cumulative GPA is under a 3.0) of 1-2 pages, addressing your GPA, any particular academic challenges you’ve faced, and your goals for studying abroad.
- Depending on your program choice, you may be required to submit additional documents other than those listed above. Click on the Application Requirements link on your program page to determine if you will be required to submit additional application materials.
After you complete your online application, log in to your MyIESAbroad account to monitor the status of your application. We will also send you emails reminding you about deadlines and missing documents. If you have any questions about the status of your application, contact your program advisor at 800.995.2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will get an admissions decision to you by email as quickly as possible. In the case of Direct Enrollment programs, admissions decisions are made by the host institution, and may take longer to receive. Ask your IES Abroad program advisor about the typical timeline for decisions.
School of Record Transcripts
Ask your study abroad advisor about the credit transfer process at your school. If your school does not accept IES Abroad credit, you have the option to obtain credit through the IES Abroad School of Record, the University of Rochester, which will issue a transcript for your IES Abroad course work. If you choose this option, you will complete an online form after you have been admitted to the program. If you need a transcript from the University of Rochester, make sure you know where on campus the transcript should be sent.
There is a $375 School of Record transcript processing fee which will appear on your invoice. Applying for an IES Abroad School of Record transcript though the University of Rochester is a contract between you, the student, and the University of Rochester. IES Abroad cannot be responsible for ensuring credit transfer and/or any decisions made by the University of Rochester with regard to the School of Record transaction.
IES Abroad, The Institute for the International Education of Students, does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, or ethnic origin. Inquiries regarding compliance with equal opportunity legislation may be directed to IES Abroad, 33 West Monroe St., Suite 2300, Chicago, Illinois 60603; telephone 312.944.1750, 800.995.2300; or to the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, Department of Education, Washington, D.C.