One Month Later

Kyla Corvino
New York City From the Sky

Today marks exactly one month since the IES Abroad Summer 2015 in Santiago Program has come to a close.

As sad as it was to leave Chile, finally being reunited with my sister after two months of being abroad (and an entire spring semester of studying) was such a great feeling!  Also, being able to spend some time with my puppy, Fenway, felt pretty special too. 

The first meal I had with my family when I got home was corn on the cob (yum!) and shrimp with sweet potato.  I know it sounds like an odd combination, but the flavors blend so nicely together and it was so great to be back with my family having a nice home cooked meal again.

One thing that was a bit difficult to get used to at first was coming home to summer weather!  I had been in my winter jacket, freezing in Santiago for over two months, so finally coming home to 85-degree weather was a little shocking for my body to handle.  I’m definitely getting used to this nice summer weather though and I am loving the vacation time by the beach.

Since being home I have also tried sushi again.  I have to say, as nervous as I was to have sushi in the United States after being spoiled with some of the best sushi I have ever had in Santiago, it was not that bad after all.

After finally having some time to reflect on the journey I had in Santiago, I am beginning to love the idea of becoming a traveling nurse, which I think is about the most exciting future goal to have!  This program really opened my eyes to the possibility of working outside of the United States, which has been a dream of mine since the first time I left to live in Chile, but never seemed like something I could actually do.  I feel like I know have connections in Chile that would be more than happy to help me reach my crazy and extraordinary dreams!

I feel so grateful to have been able to spend another two months in such a beautiful city, meeting new people from all over the world and would like to thank every single person who followed my journey and helped me along the way!