Experience at The University of Canterbury

Ava Renbarger

Kia Ora!! As midterms are coming around, I have been studying a lot at the University of Canterbury. Although there is not much of a culture shock when going to New Zealand, classes are slightly different than the way in which classes work in the U.S. One of the biggest differences, which I find very helpful, is that almost all of the classes here at UC are recorded. This is very benefical for us exchange students, because it allows us to travel around New Zealand without having to miss out on your classes or get behind. However, with that being said, all of my classes here are dependent on the two tests we have throughout this semester. There is rarely any homework, it is more on you to ensure you are staying on track and not getting behind in your classes. All of my professors are great and eager to help me whenever I reach out. I am currently in four classes and have had a great experience with all of them so far! One class that many exchange students are recommend to take is Land, Journey, and Ethics. This course is perfect if you are wanting to learn more about the history of the land of New Zealand and the ways in which you should appreciate and care for the world around you. I have really enjoyed the class so far and have found a greater appreciation for just having the opportunity to be in such an amazing place as New Zealand. For this course, you also go on one field trip where you camp for two nights. This was such an awesome experience for me because I got to meet a lot of kiwis, but also people from all different parts of the world! We had a blast camping all around Woolshed Creek and an experience I will probably never have again. Below are a bunch of pictures from the field trip, it was absolutely beautiful! So, overall definitely take this course if you ever have the opportunity!