IES Abroad’s mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with the University of Canterbury.
The University of Canterbury
Established in 1873, the University of Canterbury is one of the top three universities in New Zealand. The University has a population of about 12,000 students and more than 500 academic staff members. Large enough to offer a broad and diverse curriculum, the University is also small enough to ensure that you can take advantage of excellence in both teaching and research.
Location & Commute Time
The University of Canterbury is located on a beautiful, park-like campus in the heart of Christchurch.
The University is a 15-minute bus ride from downtown Christchurch. Students living in apartments will likely have a five to 10-minute commute to the campus by foot, and students living in homestays may have up to a 30-minute bus ride, which is common for many local students.
Students participating in the University of Canterbury program through IES Abroad enroll in a full courseload through the University of Canterbury. For more information on courses, see below. If you have additional questions, please reach out to your IES Abroad advisor.
Additional Experiential Learning Opportunities
Additional opportunities for Experiential Learning exist through the University of Canterbury’s Centre for Entrepreneurship (UCE):
- Students looking for a more sustained experience during their study abroad may enroll in the 4-credit BSNS290 course and be placed in an internship-like experience with a start-up. In their placements, students complete a 105-hour project. Weekly lectures and tutorials via UCE augment the student’s project work.
- Students looking for a shorter experience during their student abroad may apply to take part in one of UCE’s sponsored Student Challenges. If accepted, students become a part of a small team that works on a project intensively for a few days. This may be part of a competition, with other student teams working on the same project.
About the UC Centre for Entrepreneurship
The UC Centre for Entrepreneurship (UCE) has innovation at its core. UCE aims to stimulate the development of entrepreneurs through a combination of research, teaching and community engagement.
UCE offers world-class facilities, academic courses and extra-curricular initiatives that focus on the business of entrepreneurship. With its world-class learning environment, strong business connections and commitment to developing resilient and talented entrepreneurs, UCE aims to:
- Become a student-focused centre of excellence for innovation and entrepreneurial research.
- Nurture the development of more employable UC graduates with exceptional entrepreneurial capability.
- Become a driving force in the entrepreneurial ecosystem regionally and nationally.
- Expand UC’s national and international entrepreneurial networks.