Weekend Getaway to Málaga

Anna Braman

I only have a few days left in Salamanca and it’s bittersweet. I am looking forward to going home and sharing stories from the past month, but I am also going to miss life here. Over the past 25 days I have gotten to know the people here with me and we’ve learned a lot about the culture in Spain. However, I feel as though I’ve only just gotten to know Salamanca and the many things that make this city unique. I learn more every day, and I’m looking forward to learning more up until the day I leave.

One of my favorite things about Spain is being able to travel all around the country, relatively easily and inexpensively. This past weekend I was able to go to Málaga, a beach town in southern Spain. The culture in the region of Andalusia is different from that of Salamanca, yet I didn’t feel that far away. I love traveling, but when the bus broke down somewhere between hour eight and nine, I found myself missing the comfort of Salamanca. When we finally arrived in Málaga after almost 10 hours on the bus, I was just excited to disembark and explore the city. Over the course of the weekend, we visited the historic town center and boardwalk, lounged on the beach, spent time in the Picasso Museum, and I shared a sandwich with a stray cat. I enjoyed seeing another piece of Spain and adding to my cultural knowledge. Málaga was an amazing trip but one of the best feelings was feeling at home upon returning to Salamanca. While I only have a few days left in Salamanca, I’m excited to see what final memories I make in Spain before returning to the United States.