Define... Classroom?

Nathan Outlan

I apologize for not blogging for a while. I have been so busy with class, excursions for class and traveling independently that I have not even had a solid day to sit down and really piece together my blogs for the month. That's a good problem to have though; if you ask me. Well, I just finished my first environmental class today and turned in all the necessary documents. It was a great class and I'll tell you why.

You may be a fan of sitting in a classroom and tapping your pen against the desk, but I am not. This forestry class that I just finished was one of the best classes I have ever taken in my life. It is so much better to learn hands-on than to sit in a desk and read a book. We went on four excursions in the forests around Frieburg and then had a three day trip to the Swiss Alps over the course of the class. I have decided to create a separate blog for the Swiss Alps trip because it deserves its own blog. I had also been in the Lichtenstein and Austrian Alps the weekend before the trip, so there is a ton of great stuff from last week. So, yeah, this blog will just be pictures from the four excursions. Hopefully if you are reading this and wanting to study abroad somewhere where you can be outside in the mountians a ton... then this convinces you to come to Freiburg and be in the enviro program, because it is sweet. It's hard to describe what it's like to be standing 8000 feet up in the air, but I will try to over the next two blogs.

So, these four excursions were all about bringing the classroom to the forest. We would literally climb up through the forest and then randomly our professor and specialist guide would be like, okay ya we can stop here... just hangin on the side of a mountain with the ole notebook jotting some notes down about trees and the history of it all. If anything, it really helped my multi-tasking skills. Never thought I'd be taking notes while balancing on a foot wide trail. Most pictures are from more chill areas. Did not wanna risk dropping my phone...

Anyway, enjoy the pics

-Nathan