Taking Advantage

Natalie Clark

For the past few weeks, I’ve been taking advantage of the fact that for once, I’m not traveling on the weekends. It’s amazing how easy it’s been settle into a place so far away from my “real” home. Every time I step off the bus after getting back from a trip, I can’t help but breathe a sigh of relief because I’m finally back in Siena

There are three things in particular that I’ve loved taking advantage of recently:

-IES sponsored trips and events. For anyone interested in using IES as a study abroad program (which I would definitely recommend) make sure you take advantage of the activities and trips they plan! I can’t tell you how much fun it was going to Milan with the IES group..not to mention the fact that it was wonderful not having to plan the trip myself. Not only was it a great trip in general (and by that I mean, I saw the Last Supper and had the world’s best gelato), but it was fun getting to know the other IES students and staff. I also loved taking advantage of the IES cooking class. While I’m always up for anything food-related, I’ve really been wanting to take a cooking class while I’m in Italy, so I was excited that IES put together a class for us.

-Warm weather. I’m sure I speak for many people when I say that warm weather just makes me happier. How could it not? And how could anyone not love laying out on the Piazza del Campo in the warm sun with a nice cup of gelato.

-And lastly, hidden gems in Siena. While, in my humble opinion, I think the city of Siena itself is a hidden gem, there are still plenty of fun places to discover in the city. And, luckily, we have some great staff to help us find said places. ;) A few weeks ago, one of our RAs, Giusi, and Chia took us to a small park in Siena. After getting sandwiches (at a place I sadly cannot remember the name of) we spent the day making flower crowns and laying in the grass enjoying some beautiful Tuscan scenery.

too busy eating for pictures