Barcelona

Matt Machin

If you are looking for a getaway with warm weather, a lively city life, and a great taste of the native culture, then Barcelona, Spain is the place for you. The city is home to Park Guell, which consists of some very unique architecture designed by the infamous Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi. Officially opening in 1926, the park provides stunning views over the city and the Mediterranean.

One of the places I really enjoyed visiting was Sagrada Familia. The massive Roman Catholic church began construction in 1882 and is expected to be fully complete by 2026. Gaudi was a main contributor behind the architectural and engineering style of the cathedral. Sagrada Familia is the final resting place of one of the world’s most famous and talented architects. 

In the heart of Barcelona’s downtown, Catalunya Plaza is a great place to sit and relax while watching the day go by. In Barcelona, plazas, like Catalunya, are also centers for transportation services, such as buses and the metro, to help people get where they want to go. 

One aspect of Barcelona that one can never forget about is its beaches. The warm-watered, soft sand beaches are a popular destination for people to relax or take a stroll down the boardwalk, especially during the summertime. This part of the city offers a great nightlife with bars and clubs sitting right on the beach.