London

Matt Machin

When I arrived to Europe, I made sure to put London towards the top of my list of destinations to go to. It is safe to say that my high expectations were beyond met. At the start of my trip, I went to the top of Primrose Hill where I was able to witness some spectacular views of the city’s skyline.

In the heart of London, St. James Park sits in an ideal location being a short walk away from the city’s main attractions, the London Eye and Big Ben. The abundance of parks in London offers a great selection of places to take a simple stroll through and escape the city life while still being in the center of everything.

One attraction that receives millions of visitors a year is Westminster Abbey. Built in 1245, the church is the place where all coronations of the British monarchs have been held. Westminster Abbey is considered one of the most notable religious buildings in the United Kingdom.

Located on the South Bank of the Thames River, the London Eye is a key destination in London. The giant ferris wheel stands 440 feet high and was built in 1999. The queue line can vary in wait times depending on how crowded any specific day is. Fortunately, I only had to wait a half hour before getting on the Eye.

Arguably the most iconic structure in England’s capital is the clock tower Big Ben. The tower sits on the North Bank of the Thames River right by the London Eye and reaches a height of 315 feet. Big Ben is attached to Britain’s parliament building and is considered to be the second largest clock tower in the world behind Minneapolis City Hall’s clock tower.