So Far Away

Lauren Anderson

I have been back in the United States for five days now, which really isn't that long, but being in Barcelona already seems like it was so long ago. It has been slightly difficult transitiong back to my normal life because of the extremes I just experienced. In Barcelona I was doing amazing things, learning about other cultures and seeing new things, all day long for the four weeks I was there. Now I am at home and feel a little bit lost since there isn't as much do to. That is understandable since I am not on vacation and I do not live in a large city where there are exciting things to do every day. It has been nice to relax and sleep in but it is just very different from what I was just experiencing for about a month! 

Since coming back I have had to unpack, do laundry, sort out all my gifts for friends, and go through photos and postcards with my family so they could see the amazing adventures I had! I have also had the chance to cook again, which I thoroughly enjoy doing, along with being able to do some artsy things and start planning for my life after college by looking for jobs. Not the most exciting thing to do but it has been interesting figuring out where I want to be in a year when I start working. 

I also had a really great time talking with my friend who has also studied abroad about our respective experiences. We talked a lot about language and how being in a foreign place where your language skills are lacking makes it so much harder to communicate and sometimes there can be miscommunications and misunderstandings. Also I had a high level of respect for people who speak more than one language, but my respect has gone up 100 fold. It is frustrating and difficult to speak in a language that is not your native tongue and I respect anyone who has the courage to do so. 

Thank you for reading my blogs! Barcelona was an experience I will never forget. 

Lauren Anderson

Lauren Anderson

<p>Hi everyone! My name is Lauren Anderson and I am from the Sacramento, California area, but I am studying Engineering Management at University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. I am so excited to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain and learn all about the people, language, food, and other aspects of Spanish culture. One of my favorite things to do is learn about other cultures, so that is what my blog will reflect. Look forward to seeing and learning about Spanish culture!</p>

University of the Pacific