Invisible Differences Abroad

Lauren Anderson

These past weeks in Barcelona have been an absolute whirlwind and it is difficult to think that it is all quickly coming to an end. I have noticed a lot of different things being in this big city when it comes to culture, food, people, fashion, transportation, and much more that is different than the United States. One of those things is that there seems to be a very large acceptance of the LGBTQ+ population. 

Same-sex marriage has been legal in Spain since 2005, which is a whole TEN YEARS before the United States legalized same-sex marriage. It is odd to me that the country known as "Land of the Free.." is so behind many other countries in the world. This is also something I notice when walking around in different parts of California, where I am from. It is important to note that the United States is spread out and there are vastly different opinions about gay marriage in the United States, depending on where you are. Living in California this is also true. There are areas where people tend to be more accepting and areas where people do not. 

That being said, even being in the most openly gay friendly cities of California, I still felt more comfortable walking hand in hand with my girlfriend down the streets of Barcelona than I ever have been in Calfornia. I also saw many same-sex couples holding hands in the subway and on the street as well. Along with this, I have been here for the start of the pride festivities in Barcelona. I will be missing the actual festival itself, but it has been wonderful seeing so many accepting people in this wonderful city! 

I have also noticed a wide acceptance of Jewish people in Barcelona. I have yet to experience much prejudice due to being Jewish in America, and felt no prejudice whatsoever being in Barcelona (and Portugal!) as well. The photos I am posting this time are of random pride things I saw around the city along with some "Jewish" monuments, etc as well. A few other photos will be in the mix this time around as well. 

Lauren