Yet Another Week in Santiago!

Kyla Corvino

The new week brought exciting new experiences I did not even imagine I would have the chance to be a part of in such a short period of time!

On Monday I took a tour of a Vineyard in Santiago with a couple of fellow classmates.  There we got a feel for how a Vineyard really works and got to taste some delicious wines and cheeses.  It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon! 

The coolest part of the week was seeing the birth of baby Santiago!! My group knew that we were going to the women’s floor of a hospital called Sótero del Río, which we had visited many times before, but we did not think we would be lucky enough to actually see a birth.  When we arrived to the hospital we talked to a very pregnant woman who gave us consent to stay with her to see if anything would happen.  Just one short hour later she went into a very quick labor and delivered her beautiful baby boy!

On Friday our entire group took a field trip to María Pinto, which is a town about one hour from Santiago, to get an idea of how rural hospitals in Chile work.  The first hospital we visited was very new and beautiful but did not have any patients in it, which is good for the people of the town, but was a little boring for us!  The next place we visited was so tiny, the building was smaller than most houses in Santiago, but attends to about sixty patients a day.  After viewing both places we experienced a typical Chilean lunch!  It was delicious and full of vegetable salads and empanadas (of course).

Sunday was Father’s Day, so I spent the day with my host family (and most importantly, my host dad)!  Santiago is currently experiencing some serious issues with the amount of smog that has accumulated, so we were not allowed to have a typical Chilean barbeque to celebrate the day.  Instead we ate fish, which was just as delicious, and rice.

I am excited to see what is in store for the following week!