A Day in the Life of a Study Abroad Student

Hope Yi

A month has already passed since I first arrived in Rome. Wow. What an experience. I'm beginning to realize how fleeting my time here is. My days are filled with field studies around the many, many, MANY historical sites in Rome. There are ruins or monuments quite literally in the middle of the road or just around a random corner. The 15-minute walks through the city to school are now a norm, and days when I walk over 25,000 steps are also customary.

I’m turning into an addict: a gelato addict. Discovering my favorite gelaterias and pizzerias are quite the adventure. I’m learning to become more familiar with the Italian language, to the point where I feel a sense of comfort when I return to Rome from a different country I traveled to over the weekend and I hear, read, and see Italian again. I’ve even caught myself thinking, “It feels good to be back home.” Now, I am nowhere near being a native of this place. That is still quite apparent, but there is a comfort in this place that I can now find and truly cherish. Here is a day in the life of a study abroad student.