Capsule Hotels, Book Fairs, and Festivals -- TOKYO EDITION

Tokyo, Japan -- the city of high technology and unique trends. But there's more to Tokyo than that. Let me show you what I mean.

DSC_1846 copy.jpg

Capsule hotels are cheap hotels with a large shared space and "capsules" just large enough for one person to sleep in. They average at $40 a night and often come with Japanese style shared bath.

DSC_1870 copy.jpg

After dropping our belongings off at the capsule hotel, my friend and I visited a book fair in Jinbocho, the neighborhood known for its antique bookstores.

DSC_1882 copy.jpg

A reflection of a man perusing through the shelves of books in an interesting window.

DSC_1886 copy.jpg

My friend Jill looking through the tall stacks -- she bought a couple books about cats :)

DSC_1903 copy.jpg

A lady with her hands full of books. Right after I shot this picture, she dropped her books!

DSC_1939 copy.jpg

We also visited Harajuku, but it wasn't as cool as it looked in the pictures I've seen on Instagram. A baby-pink Korean makeup store caught our eyes, though.

DSC_1999 copy.jpg

Tokyo Skytree on a rainy night. 

DSC_2013 copy.jpg

The view from the top of the Skytree. It's quite a sight -- apparently, going in the daytime is a completely different experience.

DSC_2074 copy.jpg

Ahh, the famous Shibuya Crossing. We crossed it a couple times from different starting points, but the most interesting was to be watching from the window of the Starbucks above it, seeing the pedestrians all start walking at once as soon as the crosswalk signals turn green.

DSC_2120 copy.jpg

Yakitori street, named after the dozens of yakitori (grilled chicken kabobs) vendors.

DSC_2130 copy.jpg

A small restaraunt near Yakitori street. the brown sphere hanging to the left of the doorway is an indication of a spot that makes sake.

DSC_2182 copy.jpg

After walking around a bit more, we stumbled upon a Tori-no-ichi festival, which brings people who wish to pray for abundant harvests or prosperous business in the upcoming year. These tents sell kumade, which are highly decorated bamboo rakes believed to “rake in good fortune” and bring happiness when displayed in their homes or businesses.

DSC_2180 copy.jpg

As with any festival in Japan, there were many food tents that gave us a combination of delicious aromas.

DSC_2191 copy.jpg

Many families wait in line for the priest to grant their children a blessing for "shichi-go-san," a ceremony for young girls and boys.

************************************************************************************************************

Tokyo was not exactly what I thought it would be, as there was much more traditional character than I've seen displayed on the media. Regardless, it's a beautiful city and I have yet to explore even half of it! I'll make sure to plan out a full week's worth of exploring next time I go.