My Favorite Spots in Siena

Willa Thomas headshot
Willa Thomas
Gelato in the Piazza

As I wrap up my final week in Siena, I thought I’d share some of my recommendations and favorite spots!

1. San Paolo Pub: This was one of our favorite spots to hang out in Siena. The city itself tends to be on the quieter side which I loved but when we were in the mood for a little bit livelier spot San Paolo was our go-to. Every Monday night at 10 p.m. they have karaoke, and it quickly became a tradition among our group and a bunch of the other students in Siena. It’s right on the piazza and the perfect place to grab some food, and drinks, and enjoy your time in Siena!

2. Sclavi, Bar 19zero3, and Café Fiorella: My go-to spots to stop for coffee. I found myself at one of these three places multiple times throughout the week. Sclavi is right on the piazza so it’s an amazing place to sit and watch the world go by while drinking a cappuccino and eating a pastry. Café Fiorella is the only place in the Siena city walls that roasts their own coffee beans so it is a must-do if you are looking for high-quality coffee drinks. And finally, Bar 19zero3, it’s located behind the piazza and is a bit more of a slower pace. I often found myself here when I wanted to relax, read a book, and drink a coffee. Plus, it has a great view of the hills of Tuscany.

3. Nice Gelato: This was our gelato spot of choice and was highly frequented. With so many choices for gelato in Siena and in all of Italy we made it our mission to find the best one in the city. This one was traditional gelato (not piled high with bright colors to appeal to tourists) and it was very close to our apartment as well as the piazza. Perfect place to go for a late-night sweet treat.

4. The Wednesday Market at La Fortezza: Every Wednesday morning there is a marketplace set up at the Fortress. Here, you can find literally everything you could ever need. Clothes, shoes, bags, household items, art, and even a small amount of vintage. I would always go after my 9 a.m. class. I would pop my headphones in and walk around taking in everything there was to offer. It’s also a great place to witness the local culture of Siena since this is a place where many locals go to get their weekly shopping done. Expect it to be very crowded and a bit overwhelming but totally worth it. A lot of the things I purchased over the semester were from here including 2 bags and a lot of clothes! Just make sure you bring cash!!

5. La Rosa: Studying in Italy we of course ate our fair share of Italian food. However, sometimes I found myself craving a different flavor or something other than pasta and pizza. Crazy I know. When that happened, I’d always go to La Rosa, the Chinese place right down the street. They have great veggie dumplings and wonton soup! Also, an amazing place to go if you feel like you are starting to get a cold, some hot tea and spicy warm food will cure you instantly. Or at least make you feel a bit more comforted.

6. Bottega Roots: I think it’s safe to say that this is the Fall 2023 group’s favorite restaurant in Siena. Their gnocchi with pesto is amazing! Also, a great place to try pici, a traditional pasta from Tuscany. I always got it with a white ragu sauce. You can also go here for aperitivo. Grab a glass of wine and one of their sharing platters with a bunch of meats and cheeses. So yummy!!