Reindeer! (Photos)

Thomas Gongol

Okay so here it is! Now due to some unforseen (read: studying for finals) circumstances all of us here (read: me) have narrowed down the Reindeer photos to the 16 best photos from the Cairngorm Reindeer center near Inverness. This was one of the best days of my life. Granted I'm an animal lover, but there seemed to be a general consensus among the group that this was one of the coolest experiences ever. It was a couple of hours from our hostel in Oban but we made it to the center in the early afternoon, and met up with some guides who proceeded to take us on a short hike higher into the hills. It didn't take long to find the herd grazing and generally anticipating our arrival; and with us, the arrival of better food. Reindeer (and to clarify something that I never thought I'd have to clarify yes they exist, no they don't fly or have red noses) are such majestic creatures as I hope I was able to capture in the pictures. A quick interesting side note, the guides could tell each Reindeer (maybe some 40+) apart individually and there's a theme each year ranging from animals to musical instruments (I do not name any of the Reindeer correctly in the photos). I honestly don't have that much more to say on the day. It's really tough to describe in words the experience of hand feeding a wild animal like this, and for someone like me it is something that I'll never forget. Needless to say, if Plan A for my life doesn't work out, moving to Cairngorm and taking care of these Reindeer sounds like a great Plan B.