Okinawa: Blue Seas and Skies

Sara Macconnell

今日拝なびら

Okinawa has always been on my bucketlist. I didn’t think that I would have a chance to go during my time abroad, since it was pretty far away and not the cheapest to get to. I was thinking about planning a trip to Osaka when a friend mentioned that they were planning a trip to Okinawa the same weekend, so I hopped onto their plans!

I checked the weather report for Okinawa a week before my flight, and saw that it was raining until the exact day I was arriving. I felt pretty lucky, and the weather was absolutely beautiful. This was the view from the front porch of our AirBnB.

We stayed in Itoman-Shi, right and the southern most part of the island. Our AirBnB was pretty close the coast. It was just a five minute walk to the shoreline. The tides were low during our stay, so we were able to walk out pretty far.

We spent most of our time in Naha, Okinawa’s biggest city. There’s lots of shopping, restaurants, and a few beaches on the outskirts as well.

One of the highlights of the Trip was Shuri Castle. It was once the palace of the Ryukyu kingdom, and has since been restored.

The castle has a small café that sells a tea set with traditional Ryukyu sweets. It was so good that I ended up buying a box of chinsuko, one of the cookies to take home.

We spent one of the days of our trip entirely at the beach. A taxi driver recommended BiBi Beach, right by a resort.

I hoped that I would never have to leave, but it’s time to move on to the next adventure.