Two Days in Nikko

Sara Macconnell

ごきげんよ.

The end of the semester is fast approaching. I can’t believe that it’s already December, and that I only have two weeks left in Japan. I’m trying to make the most of my time left here, but trying to balance fun with hard work is proving to be difficult. I keep thinking about the IES Abroad trip I went on two weeks ago to Nikko, wishing that I could go back the amazing Onsen resort that we stayed at. Looking through the pictures inspired me to write a new blog post with some of the pictures of Nikko!

This is the Shinkyo (Sacred) Bridge, which marks the entrance to the park with Nikko’s most popular shrines.

Nikko’s most well-known attraction is Toshogu Shrine. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 42 structures in the complex. It’s dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founderof the Tokugawa clan and Japan’s first shogunate (Military Leader).

Some of the coolest parts are the five story pagoda:

The Three Wise Monkeys carving, the original embodiment of the proverb ‘see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil’.

The area is huge, with a lot to see around every corner.

My favorite part of the trip was going to Ryuzu Falls (meaning Dragon Head Falls). It’s probably one of my favorite places I have been to in Japan. I’ve never seen water this color before, and it’s truly breathtaking to see in person. The changing colors of the leaves only make it better. I wish I had had more time to see the entirety of the hiking path.

That’s all for now. Only a few posts left!