Get to Know Me & Plans for Tokyo! - Introduction

Maysam Alani

My name is Maysam Al-Ani. I am originally from Iraq, born in the US, and am currently living in Qatar. I am looking forward to the many adventures and new experiences in Tokyo! I am a Muslim, so I will be on the hunt for halal and Muslim-friendly restaurants in Tokyo. I will also be on the look-out for vegetarian restaurants and let you guys know about them!

I am majoring in Communications in Northwestern University in Qatar, officially, my major is called “Media Industries and Technologies”, but my current focus is on Film Production. I am very interested in film history and analysis as well. I admire the Japanese film industry because of its uniqueness in comparison to Hollywood/American films. I am also interested in Japanese fashion, makeup, and skincare. Anime and Japanese video games also hold a special place in my heart.

What inspired me to become a blogger is that when I was contemplating applying for IES Abroad’s Tokyo Summer program, I was worried. I was worried mainly because I didn’t see anyone like me, an Arab Muslim. I hope to act as a guide for upcoming appliers with an Arab or Muslim background. Through my blogging, I hope to help people who are planning to go on IES Abroad’s Tokyo Summer program.

One thing I left out of the video is that I will be in Tokyo during the holy month of Ramadan. I will document how the experience in Tokyo is as a fasting Muslim. I will also visit the Tokyo Mosque and document any relevant events and/or people.

Other than that, I am extremely excited for visiting Harajuku street, Taito Station, cat cafés (and other animal-themed cafés), trying new foods and meeting new people! As of now, I can’t really predict what will go down but I am sure it will be great!

Muslim or not, Arab or not, please follow me along this journey! :)

Please comment or email me if you have any questions! Email: maysamalani2017@u.northwestern.edu 

Maysam Alani

<p>I am Maysam Al-Ani, a Media Industries and Technologies junior at Northwestern University in Qatar. I am a Muslim and am originally from Iraq. My passions are film (production and post-production), screenwriting, anime, and video games. I am a huge fan of travelling and learning about different cultures and people.</p>

Program:
Northwestern University