Architecture Game… Too Strong

Katrina Matthews-Mcgann

Hola dear Reader(s),

I remember going on a trip to the eastern United States and visiting some of the major historical sites peppered throughout the region. It was really impressive, seeing some of the oldest buildings and monuments of our nation’s history. I remember the tour guide pointing out such and such building, telling us about how it had been erected around the time of American independence and was still standing strong. I remember being struck by the resiliency a grouping of wood, nails, and cement could display, just by remaining there, surviving generations of families, weather, and conflicts. I was in awe. And then I got to Europe.

Those older buildings are still impressive, but they have nothing on some of the buildings I’ve seen here in Spain. First off, Spain (and Europe in general) has castles. You really can’t compete with a region where people casually walk past castles every day. You just can’t. Second, the architecture on these buildings is INSANE. The detail that goes into the most mundane corners of a university or the filigrees found on a small leaf on a turret of a cathedral is just breathtaking.

I want to share with you some of the structures I’ve been fortunate enough to see. Disclaimer: sadly (for you), in some photos, you won’t be able to see some of the finer, more impressive details of the subject, but I think you’ll be able to get the gist.

So, here are only some of the impressive, awe-inspiring pieces of architecture I have so far seen during my time here in Spain: