"Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" - Jack Johnson

Kathryn Sommer

I have been sitting, waiting, wishing this entire summer for my adventure in Rome to finally begin, but now I cannot fathom that I will arrive in Rome tomorrow.  All this time that I had to prepare for my semester abroad and yet I somehow find myself doing most things last minute.

I live in Germany, close to Munich, and arrived there two weeks ago after a long summer in the US. Needless to say, I was extremely excited to set foot on European soil again. Though for the first time this excitement wasn't solely due to coming home, but more importantly because my study abroad in Rome was getting closer and closer. This also meant, however, that I only had two more weeks to get everything done before going to Italy. 

Walking through the German passport control

Luckily I had enough time to enjoy my time at home while running my errands at the same time.  Since I hadn't seen my friends or family in a while, I tried to spend as much time with them as possible by going into Munich with them, going on hikes in the German Alps, enjoying the nice weather at the lake close by my house, and more. 

The Beauty of Munich

Hiking on the Bavarian Alps

Enjoying dinner with a breathtaking view of the Alps at the lake in Starnberg

Through all of that, I almost lost track of the time and found myself having to do most of the preparation within the last few days: I bought some travel essentials, a gift for my host family, had to go to several doctors appointments, had to pack, and I am now writing my first blog entry, which will complete my pre-departure arrangements. 

I couldn't leave without suntan lotion, sunglasses, comfortable shoes, my camera, a journal, and pictures of my family, friends, and home

Putting this into words is in fact extremely exhilarating. I cannot wait to learn Italian, to eat Italian food on a daily basis, to meet my host family, to immerse myself into the Roman culture, to learn even more about the Roman mythology and history than I had in my six (almost gruesome) years of translating Roman emperors’ military expeditions from Latin into German, and to eventually feel as if I am not a tourist in a place that I have loved since I was a child.

And with this, it finally begins!

Roma, io vengo! (Yes, I did just use google translate as I currently have no knowledge of Italian)