What To Do & What Not To Do In Venice

Jiaqi Luo
Venice on the water
Venice is arguably the most touristic city in Italy, or maybe Europe. Indeed, it is such a beautiful city that I decide to go anyway despite the frenetic tourist crowd. After staying in Venice for entire four days, here are some tips that I invite you to read through before you step into this most dreamy city. It could be a nightmare if you don't know where to go, trust me. 1. Spend at least two full days in Venice, or any city in the world. The reason is pretty clear – how are you supposed to get the best out of a place if you just step out of a tourist bus and haven’t learn the transportation map yet? It is impossible to move around and spot any interesting locales if you are still having a headache trying to figure out where you are. In a city where streets and signs are so intricately woven to fool its ordinary visitors, you don't want to fall into the trap. Stay at least two days to walk around, learn the main areas, and go to cafes to learn the local coffee specialty (probably every Italian city has some sort of coffee to claim its own). 2. Do get lost, occasionally. Before I go to Venice, a wise elder who is an expert of travelling in Italy used to tell me, “getting lost in Venice is the best thing that could happen to you.” It turns out he is totally right. Narrow alleys, restaurants that will pop your heart out by showing the killing-fish process in front of customers, and little artist workshops fill up the city’s less-travel streets. Travel off the beaten paths, and you will find the endless secrets of Venice. 3. Eat seafood, but at the right place. Venice is known for its fresh sea products. The renowned spaghetti with clams, not only a tourist must-try, is also the local favorites. Do some research about the most-loved bars by locals before you go, and plan yourself a bar hopping night: stop at lovely decorated bars with dim light, try a bit finger foods made of sea-to-table fish, and sing about your wonderful life.

Jiaqi Luo

<p>Fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Spanish, English and currently perfecting her Italian, it&#39;s clear why Jiaqi chooses her next adventure in the dynamic capital of Milan! An art lover and a free spirit, Jiaqi is now majoring in Art History and Latin American Studies at the University of Richmond. During high school, a month of staying with a host family in Helsinki, Finland opened the doors to a world of exotic saunas, lake kayaking, and inspired her wanderlust. A self-proclaimed travel sensualist, her favorite way of seeing the world is experiencing the culture through its people: she&#39;s volunteered in rural Nepal, conducted Holocaust research in Poland, and has lived with seniors in Spain.</p>

University of Richmond
Art
Art History