Figuring Out Classes + Intercambio

Janice Han

Classes!

This week, classes at Universidad de Salamanca have started. I was busy trying out different classes, and today (add/drop deadline) I finalized my “horario.”

course catalog!

I am taking 3 classes at IES center and 2 at the Universidad. University classes are obviously harder than IES classes. Professors speak very fast and it’s hard to take notes while trying to catch their explanations. I just hope that my español gets better soon! I also made friends with some of my classmates. They are really nice and willing to help. If you are planning to take some courses at the university, I recommend you try different classes and see how they are like, go talk to professors, and make friends with your classmates.

Intercambio!

Intercambio is a language exchange program through Universidad de Salamanca website. Here’s how it works:

You write down your info. “My name is (Janice), I am (22) years old. I speak (English) and I want to learn (Spanish).” Then people who speak (Spanish) and wants to learn (English) will contact you through email. (There are plenty of languages other then Eng/Span) Or you can be proactive and send emails out to people.  So far I have done two intercambios. I really enjoyed talking to my first intercambio. I thought it would be super awkward talking to a person you don’t know anything about (and that in Spanish!) but it turned out okay. We went to a cafe, first talked in spanish for 40 min (I struggled a lot) and then in English for 40 min or so.

However, I advise you to be careful with Intercambios. It could be sketchy. My second intercambio was a weirdo who made me feel uncomfortable. Later, I found out that my two other friends also had intercambio with the same guy, and they also felt the same thing. Intercambio is a really good program, but just watch out!

This past Tuesday was my birthday. My host mom gave me a green scarf as a gift, a sticky-note with lovely message, and also homemade cheesecake. I’m really feeling home here. She is so nice :) I had dinner with my friends (tapas, pinchos, and sangria! oh yeah also gelato!) and partied until late at night. That night Camelot (a discoteca) had Erasmus party, and I entered free because it was my cumpleaños. Lots of people, lots of drinks, lots of fun!

Erasmus Party

I am growing to like this place more and more. University classes are hard but fun, and I enjoying meeting new people and having new experience everyday. This is something that I needed!!! :)

Hasta luego ;)

Janice Han

<p><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">Janice is a junior from Claremont McKenna College, majoring in Government and Literature. Although Janice was born in California, she grew up in South Korea for almost twenty years before she came back to SoCal for college. Janice loves chocolate ice creams, Dostoevsky, ribbons (blue and pink), Korean food, (her) diary and black dresses. She also likes to write stories, cook, bake, and bask in the sun. Janice has never been to Europe and is super excited to spend her semester in Spain.</span></p>

Claremont McKenna College
Government
Literature