First Impressions and Experiences

Greg Hauser

Today is Saturday, May 30, 2015, and I am officially one week into my study abroad program!  I’ve done so much, but I still can’t believe it actually has been one full week.  I did make it to Freiburg in one piece, but that’s not to say it was a particularly smooth process.

As I mentioned in my last post, I wanted to leave home early so that I could take some time to see Frankfurt, as that was the location in Germany I would fly into.  Fortunately I made all my flights, and everything was on time.  The hotel I was staying at held my bags for me and I was able to walk around the city center to see some of what Frankfurt had to offer.  I definitely got myself lost at least five times, and I’m sure I walked the same circle even more.  I must admit I struggled at first, but after finding food and a map, things seemed to get exponentially better! 

While I was in the city center, I was able to see some of the historical parts of Frankfurt.  Romerberg is a part of Frankfurt’s city center, and was at one point a Roman Garrison. The architecture was beautifully old, and the cobble stone streets matched it precisely.  In addition to Romerberg, I was able to see some fantastic churches, and even step into a film and animation museum.  It was a long day, but I enjoyed what little of Frankfurt I was able to see.  I would love to spend even more time there, but that will have to wait.

After my time in Frankfurt, I took a train to Freiburg, my final destination.  Upon arrival, I thought I had stepped into a fairy tale straight from Brothers Grimm.  Freiburg is a beautiful, historic city situated smack in the middle of a lush valley on the edge of the Black Forrest.  The weather here so far has been nothing but low seventies and sunshine, with an omnipresent breeze to keep you cool while you drag your massive luggage through the streets.

After minimal lugging, I was able to check in with the IES center here in Freiburg, move into my new dorm room, and meet the people I’d be studying with for the next two months.  I can’t tell you how lucky I am to be traveling and living with the people in this program.  It’s only been five days since I’ve met any of my fellow participants, but I can tell you that this will be one of the best summers of all time thanks to the new friends I’ve made.  I could not have asked for a better crowd to hang out with all summer!

Classes promise to be interesting, the city will continue to put me in awe, and the people will keep me smiling and laughing like a fool.  But above all, the best is yet to come!