May the Road Rise Up to Meet You

Emily Bailey

As my departure for my study abroad experience draws near, the words of a traditional Irish blessing I learned as a child come to my mind: “May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.” What comforting words to keep in mind as I embark on one of the biggest and greatest journeys of my life to Dublin, Ireland!

Whenever people ask me about what I expect from the next four months, all I can say is that I expect to surprise myself, and I anticipate new opportunities and learning experiences. I’ll be spending a semester in an incredible country that I’ve always longed to visit, and it seems all the more real now that I am leaving in just about a week. I cannot make this journey alone; I am taking with me the support of my amazing family and friends. It’s reassuring to know that those people will be there for me when I need them, and I can’t wait to share my study abroad experience with them when I return. As I cross items off my packing list and try to fit everything for four months into a suitcase and duffel, I get a combined feeling of nervousness and excitement! I’ve never travelled out of the country alone, but I feel this is my chance to prove to myself that I can. As I prepare to leave, I will remember to take to heart the words of the Irish blessing, and I know I’ll return from Ireland in April feeling enriched and truly blessed for the opportunity. I hope that if anyone is willing to take the risk to study abroad, they can remember the simple Irish prayer that has helped me so much and that there are so many people who support them.

Bon voyage!

Emily Bailey

<p><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">My name is Emily and I am currently a junior at Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, IL, and I am studying psychology. I hope to attend law school someday and work with children and families. In my spare time, I enjoy playing guitar, watching reruns of &ldquo;Friends,&rdquo; and spending time with my friends and family. I have a passion for travel and good food, so this experience in Dublin is absolutely incredible! Check out my blog and feel free to leave comments or message me!</span></p>

Illinois Wesleyan University