What? Classes?!

Daranee Nasongkhla

After more than three weeks of studying abroad in Santiago (I use the word “studying” loosely), I think I finally may have finalized my class schedule.

The first week and a half was filled with long days of orientation, which was draining but ultimately very helpful. We were given a crash course on everything from typical Chilenismos and food to Chilean norms and customs. Eventually the orientations came to an end and we transitioned into talk of classes and Universities.

We have the option to take classes offered by IES and enroll at the Pontifica Universidad Católica de Chile (or la Católica) and/or la Universidad de Chile (UChile). Course offerings and schedules are released within a week of classes starting- sorting through schedules at three different schooling options is definitely not an easy task! Although it is definitely a juggling act, having so many options ends up being a good thing.

I decided to take classes with IES and one class at each university. I hope I will be getting a taste of all worlds without it becoming too overwhelming.

It’s a relief to finally start classes and develop a routine (meanwhile my friends at UNC are in the midst of spring break!)

On a less academic note, I am loving Santiago! It is a conquerable size city, yet I get the feeling there’s always something new to do or place to go. Taking classes at the Chilean universities definitely makes it easier to meet Chileans that are down to hang out and make recommendations.

Stay tuned for more about my Santiago experiences!

-Daranee