Exploring Santiago (Better Late Than Never)

Daranee Nasongkhla

Wow! I can’t believe my last days in Santiago have arrived so abruptly. This past week has been so hectic especially since I’ve tried to fit in as much as possible. I felt as though June came so quickly and I was hit with the fear that I hadn’t experienced enough in and around Santiago! The whole semester I hadn’t done basic museum visits (for example El Museo de La Memoria y Derechos Humanos) and popular tourist attractions (like going up Cerro San Cristóbal) because I kept telling myself “I have time; I have the whole semester.” I definitely learned that mindset quickly catches up to you!
The last few days were filled with activities. On Friday I went to Isla Negra to visit Pablo Neruda’s house and found it really interesting all the different types of collectibles he had. Then a couple of days later I visited the Pablo Neruda house in Santiago. I’m really glad I was able to visit all three houses (including the one in Valparaíso) because you really get a sense of his life, his work, his relationship with his third wife and how history tied into his actions and choices. Not to mention they were all beautiful with wonderful views of the ocean or mountains.
On Sunday, a bunch of friends and I took a bus to Viña del Mar and then another bus to a town called Con Con to sandboard during sunset. It was tons of fun and a gorgeous view. We were literally sandboarding down towards a sun kissed view of the sea. I would highly recommend that trip from Santiago, it was cheap (less than 14 dollars for transportation and renting a board), and such a great experience.
Luckily, while I was in Con Con on Sunday it rained a bit in Santiago to clear out some of the smog. This allowed me to finally go up Cerro San Cristóbal and see a wonderful view of the city. I feel I’ve accomplished a lot and definitely feel more comfortable with my experiences in Santiago; and I’m getting more used to the idea of going home. So bittersweet!