Surviving the Seasonal Onslaught

Chloe Abracossa
Chloe Abracosa

Being an international student and adapting to a new country comes with a myriad of challenges. I feel like I have been handling them pretty well so far; I’ve been to all my classes, submitted everything on time, and managed to get out and explore my new home. However, one unexpected hurdle that seemed to really catch me off guard was catching a common cold. Despite being told to bring medicine with me, I didn’t listen. Little did I know that little mistake would’ve caused a whole week of discomfort. 

I went to a Kruidvat (a Dutch drugstore) for the first time and after pulling out my phone to translate everything, the only type of remedy I could find was cough drops. This meant that I had to go the more holistic route to treat my cold. Meaning that I was drinking lemon-honey tea by the gallon for a couple of days. 

I took my cold as a sign from my body to take it easy this week. My only priority was getting through my lectures, seminars, and workgroups. It was a little strenuous, but I still managed to get everything done! However, dealing with a cold and Uni classes meant that I couldn’t get out and explore as much. But in the end, I think it was worth it. I think this week gave my body the opportunity to receive some good rest and recover from all the strenuous activities that I did this past month. With this week on the horizon, I feel fully rejuvenated and ready to take it on!