Getting Comfortable

Chloe Abracossa
Chloe Abracosa

Things have been going great these past three weeks in Amsterdam! Classes have been manageable, the sights have been amazing, and although it’s been cold, I find the cloudy sky to be beautiful in its own right. I am excited to see what things look like in the spring!

I have taken this week as an opportunity to explore more local neighborhoods on the outer edges of the city center. De Pijp is home to the Albert Cuyp Market, a street where you can get jewelry, clothes, fresh produce, cheese, souvenirs, and much more! I managed to walk through the market during lunchtime time where I had fresh Vietnamese Loempias, Turkish coffee, and my first-ever serving of Poffertjes! Everything was steaming hot and extremely delicious. I even was able to find a stall that sold Filipino food! It was nice to have a taste of home while being abroad. I definitely plan on going back to that market with a couple of friends so I have people to wait in line with me for the famous Stroopwaffles! 

Interacting with the vendors at Albert Cuyp made me realize how kind the locals are to foreigners like me. Before arriving, I assumed that the locals here would be cold to outsiders. But I have actually noticed that it is the exact opposite! From my experience, people tend to act nicer when they realize that you aren’t Dutch. Every Dutch person I’ve met so has made sure I felt welcome and even gone out of their way to give me a personal recommendation of where I should visit while I’m here. I can definitely say that my transition here has been easier than expected and I have nothing but the kindness of the Dutch locals to thank!