Abroad Fatigue

Chloe Abracossa
Chloe Abracosa

As I am approaching my one-month mark here in Amsterdam, I admit that I have been feeling a little down this week.  And it seems like I am not the only person experiencing the same thing. After talking with some friends and classmates, I have concluded that we are all experiencing a fun mixture of homesickness, weariness, and stress; something I would like to call “Abroad Fatigue”.  I think that the fresh days of running off of pure adrenaline and excitement are finally behind us. That being said, I am still having a great time abroad. I just think my body is starting to catch up with everything that has happened this month. Although the stress has been building up, I think that I have been making an effort to stay active and present. Here are some things that I have done in the past couple of weeks that I believe have helped me manage my “Abroad Fatigue”: 

1. Establishing a routine: Establishing a weekly routine has helped me a lot with my transition to a new home. Sticking to a routine has helped me get familiar with my neighborhood and has made things like cooking and cleaning a lot easier.

2. Staying connected: I think my calls back home to my family and friends have helped me put my homesickness at bay. Although I am nine whole hours ahead of home, taking the time to talk with my family has made me feel closer to home.

3. Staying active: At risk of sounding like my mother, being up and active really does wonders for the mind. I’m not saying deadlift 100 pounds or run a marathon or anything. But doing something small like a fifteen-minute stroll can easily help change your mood. 

4. Seeking familiarity in unfamiliar spaces: This week, I made an effort to find a Filipino market in the city and was able to buy some groceries that helped me get a taste of home. Being able to eat something from home has helped me feel more comfortable while being away from home.

It is completely normal to feel stressed and homesick while abroad, the thing is that we just have to make sure we manage them before we burn out halfway through the semester. Doing things to maintain both our physical and mental health can help ensure that it doesn’t happen.