Art in Amsterdam

Charlotte Steinberg

As my last month in Amsterdam begins, I've become incredibly nostalgic; I think back on my first week here and can't believe it was just three months ago. But that nostalgia is also bringing in a new feeling: one rooted in a panic that I won't get to see and do all the things I have on my Amsterdam bucket list. The type of attraction most popular on my list is, of course, the plethora of museums that Amsterdam has to offer. From the Rijksmuseum to the smaller galleries my studio art class has toured, Amsterdam is home to both famous and relatively unknown artwork. With my Museumkaart (Museum card) provided by IES Abroad, I have free access to most of the museums in the city (and in the rest of the Netherlands as well). Crossed off my bucket list are the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk, MOCO, Museum of Jewish History, the Van Gogh Museum, the NEMO Science Museum, the Kattenkabinet (a cat museum!), the Anne Frank house, and the numerous galleries my art class has taken field trips to. Though not all of these places are formally art museums, each place displays incredibly beautiful and informative works that leave their audiences thinking and feeling deeply. Still left to explore are the Tropenmuseum, the Eye Film Museum, the Foam Photography Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue, and the Holocaust Museum. The gallery below is made up of photos of works I've seen in Amsterdam over the past three months.