Marseille: A Bucket List City

The last time I was in France (2015), I did some travelling within the country, but I never made it to the south. Now that I am back, I wanted to make sure I could see at least one city in the south of France, and I finally did! A few friends and I headed down to Marseille for the weekend, and it was a everything I hoped it would be.

The three-hour train ride was smooth and comfortable, but I didn’t get much sleep looking at the countryside through the window. This reminded me a lot of home and my drives from New York to Penn State.

When we arrived in Marseille, we could immediately tell it was going to be very different from Paris. We got lucky with the warm and sunny weather while it rained in Paris. You could feel the calm and relaxed energy making this a nice, short getaway from the busy city life of Paris. The city itself had different kinds of environments. As we walked out of the train station, we could see the mountains right behind the Old Port, already making us feel closer to nature. We were also surrounded by beaches. Regardless of where we were in the city, though, there was seafood everywhere!

I would recommend anyone travelling to France to make a stop at Marseille. If you do, try to stay two days or more to get the full experience! I wasn’t able to spend much time at the Old Port, and really wish I had. I will definitely be making a trip back in the near future!