LISBONita

Ana Castellanos

Although Lisbon is the capital and largest city of Portugal, it was very intimate and tight-knit. As soon as we arrived, we headed out to walk around the city. There were so many hills, narrow streets, stairs, and colorful buildings covered in beautiful tile (Tip #1: if you decide to visit, be sure to take comfortable walking shoes because the streets are slippery and uneven—I made the mistake of wearing sandals all weekend). The city looks very old, but it felt very young and vibrant! The people were warm, welcoming, and everyone we met spoke multiple languages. There were also a lot of tourists, but it wasn’t overwhelming. Instead, it contributed to Lisbon’s lively energy!

We saw some of the popular sights in the city—Castelo de S. Jorge, the Lisbon Cathedral, Praça do Comercio, the Santa Justa Lift, and the Rossio. We even travelled outside of the city to see Boca do Inferno and went to the beach in Cascais. The food was amazing! It reminded me a lot of the empanadas, ceviches, and bacalao I eat back at home. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but their “pastéis de nata” were amazing (Tip #2: if you’re ever in Lisbon, head over to Manteigaria for these, which stays open until midnight).