Liberation is in the Air!

Ameer Dunston headshot
Ameer Dunston

I am Ameer Dunston, a junior finance major and television & film minor at the illustrious Howard University from Buffalo, NY. Again, thank you for choosing to follow along with my blog as I write about the lifechanging experiences I will encounter while studying abroad!

It is my pleasure to announce that I will be studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa during the spring 2019 semester at the University of Cape Town, which is the highest-ranked African university in the QS World University Rankings, the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities. This is amazing considering that I am a first-generation college student from a low-income background. I am blessed to be a 2016 Gates Millennium Scholarship recipient, which has afforded me the opportunity to study abroad during my undergraduate matriculation. This opportunity of a lifetime is truly liberating, and I look forward to the many experiences that lie ahead of me in Cape Town, South Africa.

I chose to study abroad in Cape Town, South Africa because it has been my dream to visit the motherland since I was younger! I love to travel; therefore, I had a plan to study abroad since the day I first stepped foot on Howard’s campus. Africa is such a beautiful continent filled with rich history. I longed to travel here to witness it in person. I am ecstatic to write about the many people I will encounter, and cultural knowledge I will acquire about Africa and of course, Cape Town specifically. It’s one thing to read and research about Africa, but it’s even greater to witness the beauty physically. As an African American in America, I think it is important that all African Americans visit Africa at some point in their lifetime as an attempt to reconnect with their roots. I know this experience will be one full of personal growth seeing that my emotions are currently all over the place! I look forward to the potential change this experience may have over my life regarding my career goals, and life trajectory in general. My passion to inspire others and initiate change for the welfare of others have also lead me to study abroad. I am a natural spokesperson and advocate for the many communities and institutions I represent. I choose purpose daily and use my voice to make significant impacts in society. Ultimately, this has enhanced my excitement for potential-service learning opportunities I may have the pleasure of attending while in Cape Town. I do not want to just study abroad in Cape Town, South Africa, but I want to immerse myself into the culture to further develop my global perspective and intercultural communication skills.

While I want my study abroad experience to go by slow so that I may truly take advantage of my experience in Cape Town, I do look forward to returning to my home institution to advocate as a student ambassador about the importance of studying abroad, particularly for African American students. There are plenty of resources available for students to embark on a lifechanging experience. As I plan for departure, I feel in my heart this experience will move me in such a way that is indescribable. Again, this experience is truly liberating considering I have prayed for this moment many nights. I truly believe what’s for us will not pass us as human beings. Lastly, the quote “Education changes people. People change the world,” is a statement I am committed to. Studying abroad is an additional education experience that will change me, and in return contribute to the change I will inflict on the world. Cape Town, South Africa, here I come!

Ameer Dunston headshot

Ameer Dunston

I am Ameer Dunston, a junior finance major & television & film minor from Buffalo, NY at Howard University. Additionally I am a 2016 Gates Millennium Scholar and I love to uplift others through any source possible.

Howard University
Buffalo, NY
Finance