For more than 50 years, IES Abroad has built a legacy partnering with Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs) and Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs). As part of our Initiative to Diversify Education Abroad, founded in 2008, we continue to create programs and initiatives to help increase access to study abroad.
In 2017, we launched two new outreach initiatives through IDEA, Tu Mundo & Take Off with IES Abroad. These initiatives partnered with ten schools each to help inspire diverse students to study and intern abroad.
Led by Diversity Relations Manager, Hernando Sevilla-Garcia, Tu Mundo is an outreach initiative designed to help more students at HSIs/Emerging HSIs to study abroad and intern abroad. Through branded on-campus events, social media outreach, personalized study abroad scholarship sessions, and essay coaching, Tu Mundo works to support our goal of continually increasing diverse and underrepresented student participation.
Tu Mundo interactive workshops include:
- Informational session on IES Abroad and external global education scholarships
- A conversation on the intersectionality of identities in the formative space of study abroad
- An intensive scholarship writing session (Gilman Scholarship Case Study)
- Resume templates that integrate study and intern abroad experiences
- A discussion of service learning, and internship, volunteer opportunities abroad
Take Off with IES Abroad
Take Off with IES Abroad was created with students at HBCUs in mind. The initiative, led by Diversity Relations Manager, Kandice Rose, offers students the tools and information they need to make studying abroad or an internship abroad a reality.
Resources for these students include tips on traveling abroad, such as how to navigate buying the most budget-friendly airfares; advice on how to safely travel abroad no matter your gender or gender expression; and hair care advice while abroad. Outreach also includes branded on-campus events with a $500 airfare grant give-away at each school’s event.
Check out these resources on our website:
- Everything You Need to Know About Studying Abroad with Black Girl Hair
- Air Travel Tips for Transgender Students Studying Abroad
Meet our Diversity Team and browse resources, scholarships, and webinars on our Student Diversity & Access page.