“To Travel or not to Travel”

Zoey Tyson-Taylor
Cap D'Ali Beach

Have you ever read Shakespeare? Maybe you read Romeo and Juliet in high school. Well...today we’ll be talking about Shakespeare’s play Hamlet. In Act 3 Scene 1, Prince Hamlet is contemplating death and suicide while acknowledging how painful human life is, not quite realizing that the alternative may be worse. The phrase “to be or not to be” means to live or to die.

Now, what does this have to do with studying abroad? Well, I have invented a new phrase: “To travel or not to travel.” I bet you have a lot of questions, like what does it mean? Here is the big one: why did I invent something?

I recently came back from a trip to Nice and had the time of my life with a group of friends I met during this study abroad adventure. We went to the beach, traveled to nearby cities, and stayed in a gorgeous Airbnb.

What does this recent trip to Nice have to do with Hamlet? Or my newly invented phrase? 

Many of us are considering traveling to other areas of our designated countries or planning to travel while studying abroad. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Covid has limited the amount of freedom when it comes to exploring other areas.

What I am saying is that… every study abroad adventure is different. You may not always travel with your friends to new places. You might even go by yourself and have a great time. You may not even go out of your designated country at all during your time there. Just remember to have fun and use all the time you have exploring areas you may not have seen before.

I didn’t plan to go to Nice when I planned on studying abroad in Paris. It turned out to be one of the best experiences I had to visit the Mediterranean. Despite getting fined almost $70 for a mistake, but you can’t let those things keep you from having a great time.

I want every person that is reading this blog post to know that deciding whether or not to travel is not a life-threatening thing. Don’t be a Prince Hamlet. If you want to explore your country, get outside the city, and see the beautiful countryside, do it. Watch how the night skies glow when you’re not under those thousands of lights that blind the stars. Remember to have fun and don’t miss out on your opportunities.

If you travel to other countries during your study abroad journey, just make sure to look at each country's guidelines and make sure you take care of yourself. Each country has different rules of entry, so make sure you do your research. If you end up getting fined like me, it’s fine. I will be there to hold your hand. If you choose not to travel, and you decide to stay in your designated country, enjoy yourself. You never know, you may end up having stories about a city that not many people may know about. Also, you will build a connection with your country that will last a lifetime. You never know what may happen.

“To travel or not to travel?” That is up to you.

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”

“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.”

“I don’t much care where –”

“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go.”

― Lewis Carroll

Zoey Tyson-Taylor

<p>Bonjour Mes Amies! My name is Zoey Tyson-Taylor and I’m a senior studying at Hollins University, majoring in Business and History. Don’t worry, I know it’s a weird combo! I am studying abroad in Paris this Fall of 2021. I am so excited to be sharing my journey with you all! My favorite things are my family, language learning, and good food. But my one true love is ice cream…</p>

Hollins University
Williamsburg, VA
International Business