Sunday "Thrills" in Paris

Zoey Tyson-Taylor
La Seine

Sunday is the most relaxing day in Paris. It’s a time where most shops and restaurants are closed and a time to spend with your family. Also, a good day to take some day trips and learn more about the city. There are many things that you can do on a given Sunday and how you spend them. Each one offers a study abroad patron a chance to get to know Paris and to feel more connected to the city.

1. An Abundance of Parks: Paris has more than 400 parks and gardens set in the city. There are the big ones like the Jardin du Luxembourg, Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, and Parc Monceau, but there are many other beautiful places to relax and enjoy oneself. Before my study abroad journey, I never really liked to go outside much and enjoy nature. There’s just something about Paris that makes you want to go outside and enjoy the outdoors. There are many things to do at a park-like having a picnic, laying down in the sun while reading a good book, or hanging out with your friends while appreciating the scenery. Why? Because you’re in Paris.

2. The Plethora of Museums: When people think of things to do around the city of Paris, they may think of museums. Of course, there’s the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, but there are more than 100 museums in the city of Paris. More than 1,000 museums alone in France. There are popular museums like the Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, the Centre Pompidou, Musée Rodin, etc. There are the less popular but beautiful museums like Musée Carnavalet, Musée Camondo, Musée Picasso, and so many other little museums to explore. Paris has so many cultural hubs in the city that it’s hard to go to all of them in just one day.

3. The why so many Cafés: There are hundreds of cafés in the city of Paris. Pretty much one on almost every street corner, you just have to pick which one you want. The café is a great place to spend your Sunday.  Whether it’s reading a book, doing some work, or having a nice meal, it’s a great place to experience Parisian culture. There are many popular cafes like Café de Flore or Café Hugo, but that would be just for tourism. Every café has its unique looks and style, you never know unless you try them out.

4. The Calm and Beautiful Seine: The one thing I have also talked about on this blog is the river, Seine. I remember one day a friend of mine and I went around Paris and explored the city. One of the highlights of that particular Sunday was sitting by La Seine and admiring the river. It was a little cold that day but sitting by that river made all my worries pass away. There’s almost something magical about it, especially during the night sky. It’s one of my favorite moments in Paris and one that I will always cherish. Just like being at the park, you can read your books, have a picnic, write in your journal, or enjoy the beauty around you that is Paris.

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest for many French people. You can try to go to a café or a museum every chance you get, but you’ll be too tired to enjoy it. On your Sunday, take your time and enjoy what Paris has to offer. You don’t have to make these elaborate, just explore the areas around you and you never know what you may find. An old alley with beautiful shops that sell amazing pieces of jewelry or a small shop with beautiful antiques from the 1800s. You never know unless you get out there. Many people will want to rush through their day to try to see everything. The only problem is you never really get the chance to take it all in. Take your time, sit for a while, and watch the world around you. Paris is a beautiful city but it’s the things that you don’t see that make it special.

Zoey Tyson-Taylor

<p>Bonjour Mes Amies! My name is Zoey Tyson-Taylor and I’m a senior studying at Hollins University, majoring in Business and History. Don’t worry, I know it’s a weird combo! I am studying abroad in Paris this Fall of 2021. I am so excited to be sharing my journey with you all! My favorite things are my family, language learning, and good food. But my one true love is ice cream…</p>

Hollins University
Williamsburg, VA
International Business