Why I Love London

Zoe Rodriguez-Willie

When I was considering all of my options for studying abroad, I fancied quite a few places, but my mind always seemed to circle back to London. London seemed to be the place where I could picture myself living, and had the best opportunities for me. I have not regretted my decision to study here once. I truly believe that I was intended to be here and live here, and I can wholeheartedly say that I absolutely am in love with this city. 

Character

London is such a character in its own right. It definitely has a personality of its own. The fast pace of city life, deeply rooted history, architecture, and people are what builds the character of London, making it unlike any other place that I’ve visited. Being in a city as old as London really adds to the ambiance it brings. I’ve definitely done my best to take advantage of learning about history, visiting museums, and immersing myself in British culture as much as possible.

Football 

After living in London for the past few months, my love for the beautiful game has grown more than I ever thought that it could. “Soccer” (as we unfortunately call it in America) has been the most integral part of my life for as long as I could remember. My parents met through soccer, my older sister played soccer, and I too played even through my collegiate years at my home university. However, experiencing football in a country where it’s beauty is truly appreciated has been more than I could ever ask for. I’ve seen a game at Emirates Stadium and Wembley twice to watch the men’s and women’s national teams. The football culture here is absolutely breathtaking and I think everyone who lives and even visits here must immerse themselves in that experience, as it is so deeply rooted in Britain. 

Diversity

Something that is so beautiful about living in a vast city like London is the community in which it inhabits. There are so many people here that come from all different parts of the world, which is truly evident in the cuisine, perspectives, and overall culture of London. Being in this city has exposed me to so many different and unique walks of life, which I am so grateful for. 

City Life

I grew up in the suburbs of Southern California, only to move to another suburban neighborhood in Southern California for college. Needless to say, life there is extremely mundane compared to what city life here entails. It took me a little bit to get used to how to navigate public transportation, buses, and the tube here, but once I got the hang of it, I really felt like I was a city girl! This was definitely a surprising adjustment for me, as I’m so used to hopping in my car and driving everywhere, but I surprisingly ended up loving the extensive walking, hopping on the tube, and navigating myself through London. 

Things to Do

The best part about London is definitely the amount of things to do in the city. Seriously, the amount of things to do in this city are endless—there is something for absolutely every type of person. Plays, musicals, museums, galleries, sports, music, fashion, food—anything you can possibly think of lives in London. I’ve been here for a few months and haven’t even made a dent in all of the activities that London has to offer. I suppose that just means I’ll have to come back…

London, I love you. I truly believe that London is undoubtedly the most amazing city in the world. Biased? Maybe a little. But, I know that one day I will find my way back here and continue to explore the endless opportunities this wonderful city has.