Blog Post #1

Vasiljon Cobo
The Albanian flag on the Parkway which I saw right after getting my U.S. citizenship. I'm gonna miss the view from my apartment in Philly, but hopefully Salamanca/Spain will offer some challengers. Mummers in support of the fight against breast cancer; Philly can sure be romantic sometimes. When we were at my mentor's house my mother could not get over these cute anthropomorphic cat-dolls he uses as Christmas decorations. Oddly enough, this year we had a turkey on Christmas day on top of New Year's, but it tasted just as delicious Daybreak captured from a moving Septa bus serving to sharpen my picture-taking skills. My parents' at my mentor's house where they were ambushed with a ton of food (which I failed to include in this picture). My mentor's favourite antique piece from the many he owns: an ivory duck from Asia given as a bridal gift. At the Philadelphia Futures Conference, where they announced receiving a million dollar donation, showing the steady growth they've been making. The library steps of Gettysburg College after hurricane Sandy hit; now there's a sturdy building for you. My mother's kadaif, my favourite holiday dessert. My preferences aside, my mother has been killing that kek while I've been back home as if trying to persuade me to not leave for Spain. Market East Station, one of the most people-busy parts of Philly, a few blocks away from my high school. My beard, which I parted ways with before leaving for Spain. The view from my housemate's balcony in our off-campus house on a beautiful day in Gettysburg. One of the better views of the Parkway I was able to capture with the Art Museum in the background, myself standing close to the famous LOVE sign. A shot of father and child in American colors, one of my favourite pictures from the Mummers parade. William Penn's statue looking dwarfed by the Clothespin, reminding me of this passage from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world, Like a Colossus". A panoramic view of downtown Philly, with both City Hall and the Municipal Building in the shot. My mother's pulling all the tricks, even this qumeshtor, a southern dessert I'd never had before but from which my nickname comes. Umbrellas are apparently characteristic of the Mummers' Parade. The Mummers gone Stone Age. My favourite Mummer, he was carrying the team if you ask me. My mother reenacting a Philly version of Munch's "The Scream". A picture of my friend Shaun appearing to be in two places at once, ever so nonchalantly. Some of my students at Vida Charter School that helped me become confident in my Spanish.