Here and There: Oxford Diaries

Headshot of Timaira Hinton
Timaira Hinton

I've always been more busy than I've acknowledged. Since I was a child, I've always been involved in a gazillion different things, whether they're extracurriculars, academic endeavors, volunteering, etc. That's just a part of my life that I don't think (nor want) to ever change. I haven't been as involved on Oxford's campus as I'd hoped (in terms of clubs and societies), but I've definitely been focused on so much more that's going on with my professional and academic careers.

For the entire term, I've been devoting a crazy amount of time and effort to my law school application process. I've taken the LSAT here in Oxford (virtually), studied for it, written personal statements, been in contact with countless admin and admissions officers, attended virtual events, and plenty more. I am also on the eboard for a pre-law society at my home institution, so I've been committed to that as well. It is absolutely difficult to do these things while going through the most academically brutal (yet rewarding) semester yet, but the pressure to do so is motivating within itself.

Additionally, I've been maintaining my familial and friendly connections. I am a family-oriented person, and always have been, so talking to my loved ones everyday is a priority. There are days when the only thing I really want to do is be isolated and lay in my bed, but I remind myself of the importance of connection. Bonding time with family and friends is 100% necessary for me, and I will never take it for granted. There are times when I find it difficult to encourage myself, and my family always tries their best to step in and pick up where I fall off.

I am also preparing to graduate next Spring semester, so my mind is constantly running off into the distance with that idea. I am happy that I have some time to prepare once I return home, but I've also learned how to handle my business from afar. There's really no one for me to relate to out here, in terms of being a visiting student who's a graduating senior. Most (if not all) of the visiting students I've come in contact with are either sophomores or juniors, and when I tell them my classification, there's kind of a disconnect that happens since they don't yet understand how it feels to be in that situation while abroad. I don't blame them, because the friends I've made at my home institution are in the graduation class a year ahead, and I didn't fully relate to them when they'd talk to me about graduating.

Overall, I am learning to be present here at Oxford while still taking care of what I am coming back to at home. I've figured out my flow, but it definitely was not an easy road. I am happy to have some sense of balance and find peace in every phase of my journey here. I truly feel like I am fulfilling part of my purpose, and that is an invaluable blessing.