Finding Happiness

Schyler Martin

Hi, again.

I took a trip to Howth with a group of friends on Thursday. It’s a breathtaking little fishing town with views that hardly seems real. It feels like the blues are bluer here, the greens greener. Everything is alive and breathing. It’s so easy to be happy. I’m feeling fulfilled in ways that I haven’t in a long time, and though I’ve only been here for about a week, I’m already dreading leaving.

The Northern Ireland trip this weekend was an absolute blast too. We saw historical and geographical landmarks such as the Dunluce Castle and the Giant’s Causeway and learned all about the troubles in Northern Ireland. It was harrowing to see firsthand that these political struggles aren’t over. A wall still stands in Belfast that separates Catholic and Protestant communities. Peace has not yet been made.

Part of what I really adore about this experience is getting to know the other students in this program and exploring the country with them. It’s fascinating to watch friend groups form so quickly, and while I’ve only known these people for a week, it truly feels like years. We’ve joked that if we keep getting to know each other at this rate, we’ll all end up in each other’s weddings.

It is hard to miss things at home. I’ve already missed my little brother’s graduation from high school and Father’s Day. I’m trying not to feel guilty for having my own adventure while I’m missing big days at home.

Still, it’s nearly impossible to dwell on any problems from North Carolina while I’m here. I had some rocky situations with friends before I left and that drama seemed like the most important thing in the world at the time. Now, I couldn’t care less about it. The world is too vast and amazing to let the little things linger for too long.

I had been in this heavy lull at school where I questioned if college was worth the struggle at all. But for experiences like this, I know it’s worth it. I didn’t realize it before, but I think Ireland is exactly what I’ve needed for a while.

Until next time,

Schyler