Hiroshima

. お久しぶりです

Midterms aren’t east for anyone, in any country. Late October for college students can be a trying time, but lucky for IES Abroad Tokyo students, there was a light at the end of the tunnel: 4 days off of classes. Time off classes for study abroad students means that we get to travel without worrying about classes and getting homework done, which is all an international student can ask for. Some of my classmates used this time to go to some of their bucketlist destinations: Thailand, South Korea, Osaka, Sapporo, etc. For this break I chose to attend the IES Abroad sponsored trip to Hiroshima, and I’m so glad that I did.

On the first day of the trip, we spent most of our day traveling from Tokyo to Hiroshima on the shinkansen. When we arrived in Hiroshima, we went to the Peace Memorial Park. The park is dedicated go the victims of the Atomic bomb attack in 1945.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_PeacePark1_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_PeacePark2_SaraMacConnell[1].png

On the second day of the trip, we drove west of Hiroshima to Ikujima island to see Kosan-ji temple. It was built in 1936 by Koso Kosanji to honor his late mother, and is one of the coolest temples I’ve ever seen.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji2_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima)Kosanji3_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji5_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji9_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Next to the main hall of the temple, as a man-made cave filled with hundreds of Buddha statues and carvings. They say that if you find one that you have a spiritual connection with, you should leave them a coin for good luck.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_KosanjiBuddha_SaraMacConnell[1].png

On the hill above the temple is Miraishin no Oka, meaning hill of hope. It is made entirely out of white marble.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji6_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji7_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Kosanji8_SaramacConnell[1].png

That day we also went to Senkoji park, which has amazing views.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Senkoji_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Senkoji_SaraMacConnell_[1].png

We spent the third day of the trip on Miyajima island. For me, the best part of Miyajima were the deer that roam around the island.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_MiyajimaDeer_SaraMacConnell[1].png

As if cute deer weren’t enough, there’s also a Shiba Inu café.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Shiba_SaraMacConnell[1].png

The island is also home to Itsukushima shrine, which is specifically known for its ‘floating’ Tori Gate.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_FloatingToriGates_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_Miyajima_SaraMacCOnnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hirsoshima_MiyajimaPagoda[1].png

On the last day of the trip, we had a few hours of free time before we were supposed to leave for Tokyo. I decided to go Hiroshima castle, and the views did not disappoint.

Tokyo_Hiroshima_HiroshimaCastle_SaraMacConnell[1].png

Tokyo_Hiroshima_HiroshimaCastleView_SaraMacConnell[1].png

For any IES Abroad students wondering if they should go on the IES Abroad planned fieldtrips, I say go for it. The staff truly know the best places to go and the greatest things to see.