Tourist Time in Barcelona!

Sallie Rochelle
Park Güell

I have been in Barcelona for a full month now and it would be safe to say I’m still in the “honeymoon phase” of abroad that people told me about before I left. I am definitely still adjusting to the culture shock and things like taking the metro to school every day, remembering to speak in Spanish, living with five other girls, and the strange eating times, but I think I’m learning pretty quickly! Over the past few weeks, I’ve tried to knock out some of the touristy stuff here, including the Sagrada Família, Park Güell, the Barcelona Cathedral, Barceloneta beach, and a lot of tapas restaurants. I’ve also included some pictures from IES Abroad and class field trips to Tarragona, Spain and La Boquería, which is a big market with fresh fruit juices, candy, empanadas, and much more!

There have already been a couple of holidays celebrated in Barcelona too, the National Day of Catalonia and La Mercé, which involved parades, fireworks, fairs, and only three-day school weeks. In addition to these exciting holidays, it has been a particularly interesting time to be in Barcelona because of the political conflict going on of Catalonia wanting to secede from Spain. Before coming here, I did not even know that this huge issue was going on, so I am still trying to learn more about it. With so many things to learn, see and do it feels like time is flying by!

Sallie Rochelle

<p>Hi! My name is Sallie Rochelle, I was born and raised in San Antonio, TX and I am a junior at Sewanee. I am majoring in Psychology and Spanish but have always had a passion for the arts, whether that be dance, music, writing, painting, photography, fashion- I love it all! For the most part, I enjoy drawing or painting photographs that I have taken myself. I focus my art on mostly portraits but love to explore many other subjects, like landscapes, architecture, and abstract. Also, I love to travel and believe that photography and art is a perfect way to capture a moment or image that you want to remember forever.</p>

Sewanee - The University of the South
San Antonio, TX