The Sights of Freiburg

Becky Vernachio

Freiburg is an absolutely beautiful city, and I am so happy to have spent the past four months discovering all that it has to offer. While I have by no means discovered everything there is to see, I do have some recommendations for some of my favorites so far.

One of the first things that you will see when you arrive in Freiburg is the Freiburg Münster. This beautiful church is in the middle of the old city and is surrounded by a bustling Markt, or market, Monday to Saturday. This Markt is one of my favorite things about living in Freiburg. It is always fun to see what fresh fruits and veggies are being sold. They have had all sorts of berries within the past week, and I am loving them! The Münster also offers organ concerts on Saturdays. The tower of the Münster can also be climbed and offers a beautiful view of the city. I haven’t done this yet, but it is something I will definitely do before I leave Freiburg!

The Schlossberg, or Castle Mountain as its name translates, is a large hill that looks over Freiburg. There used to be a castle here that protected the city, and there are still ruins here. Since it is on a hill, you are able to look over all of Freiburg. If you are feeling extra adventurous, there is a tower that you can climb on top of the Schlossberg that gives an even higher vantage point to see the city. If you are like me and not a huge fan of heights, don’t worry about missing out, there are plenty of other places to look over Freiburg without having to climb any towers. There are also a lot of beautiful hiking trails that cross the Schlossberg. If you are feeling hungry after exploring, there is a Biergarten, beer garden, and restaurant which also offer beautiful views of the city alongside tasty food.

Aside from the markets, my favorite places in Freiburg are the parks. There are plenty of parks and green spaces all throughout the city, but I have two favorites. The first is Seepark. Seepark, or Lake Park, is a large park with a lake in it that is situated right in the city. One of the reasons I love this park is because even though you are in the middle of the city, it doesn’t feel like it at all. Coming here is a little escape into nature, only a 20-minute walk from my apartment. Seepark has walking trails that wrap around the lake and make for a perfect evening stroll. Now that the weather is getting warmer here, we have been taking full advantage of swimming in the lake to cool down. In the park is also a restaurant and Biergarten, a stage where they sometimes hold concerts, and a place to rent paddle boats. There are plenty of grassy areas that are perfect for picnics and relaxing.

My other favorite park is considerably smaller than Seepark, but equally beautiful. Stadtgarten, or city garden, lives up to its name by having beautiful beds of flowers and interesting bushes and trees all around. This park also is located at the base of the Schlossberg, and there is a cable car that you can take up here. There is also a cute little café with great croissants in Stadtgarten. Stadtgarten has a small pond that always has ducks floating around.

There are still so many places I have yet to discover here, and I am looking forward to continuing to explore and discover this beautiful city. There are so many great places to visit here, I can’t even begin to cover them in one blog post. I guess you’ll just have to come see them for yourself!

German Word of the Day: The German Word of the Day is die Sehenswürdigkeit (die Sehenswürdigkeiten, plural). This word means a sight or place of interest. It literally means something that is worth seeing.