And it all began

Muhammad Ahmed Bahram Khan

My first few weeks in Freiburg were quite overwhelming. At first I thought what I have gotten myself into, I should not have done this, I shouldn’t have challenged myself to this extent, but after a while I started enjoying each moment and realized that its an opportunity of a lifetime to experience all of those amazing cultures which I will experience over this trip. The first night our housing tutors took us to a dinner in town. I met many people from all across the States, but it was difficult to decide who will become my friend at that point. We all enjoyed the meal and had long conversations about ourselves, which made me realize that we all are in the same situation at the moment. We don’t know what lies ahead of us which is kind of scary, but thrilling at the same time. We got to know about each other a little bit that night and enjoyed the meal with great optimism for future.   

The next couple of days were really busy due to the orientation schedule, but it was fun. We finally started making new friends. Everyone was excited to make new friends, so it wasn’t difficult and didn’t take too long. New friendships were built on trust, common grounds, past experiences, likes and dislikes. We hung out quite frequently even though our schedule was quite packed with classes. We didn’t get much homework at the beginning so it was easy to hang out every night to explore the night life in Freiburg.

Firstly, everything was in German and by everything I mean vegetables, fruits, food items, road signs, street names and etc., but thanks to people who I met in stores and restaurants to help me find and explain stuff what I was looking for each time. For first couple of weeks I ate out in restaurants every time when I felt hungry, it was quite costly but the food was amazing. I recommend schnitzel mit spätzle a must thing to try while in Freiburg.

Although, I have already been through the transition phase once by going to U.S., but I wouldn’t say it is quite easy to adjust here, its will take me some time to get used to things around here, yet it is not impossible at the same time. One thing I have learned from my experience is that time comes and flies away and it is up to us on how we want to remember it.