It’s only been . . . one week?!

Mia Anzalone square headshot
Mia Anzalone
It’s only been . . . one week?!

As I’m writing this, I am quietly celebrating the one-week anniversary of my arrival in Rome. But, to be honest with you, all of the exploring, meeting new people and eating has made my first week feel like my first month! Don’t worry, this is a good thing. Within the first few days I’ve already seen some of Rome’s major landmarks and have explored multiple neighborhoods. By the time classes started today, I was really comfortable commuting and getting around. Part of this is thanks to the IES Abroad staff who organized so many introductory and orientation events to help students meet each other—I’ve met all of my friends at orientation, and yes we’re already planning weekend getaways! It’s crazy to think we’ve all only known each other for a week, but I think there’s a lot of quality bonding that happens when a group of people are navigating a new country together.

If you’re nervous about your first week abroad, I get it. Trust me, I was in that exact same position before I left. I’m here to reassure you, though, that you don’t have to be. The weirdest thing for me was the immediate transition from the built-up anticipation and the months of preparation to suddenly being right in the center of your new home. What I learned this week was that it’s so hard to soak everything up all at once. Even though it sometimes feels like you have to try everything all the time, I keep in mind that this is home for the next few months—trying new things and seeing new places will happen daily. Here’s a rundown of all the things I did during my first week in Rome to show you just how much you’ll see and do upon your arrival: