Milano World Expo 2015

Meredith Wadsworth

On Wednesday we spent the day at the worlds fair, the Expo 2015. My friends and I were not really sure what to expect based on the information we had been told prior. All that we knew was that the theme was food, so we expected it to involve lots of food. Basically, in our minds, we pictured Disney Land where every ride was replaced with a palette pleaser. Let me assure you that this was not the case.

Rather, the countries that did participate in the Expo each built their own unique pavilion, providing information about their nation's food production in a (sometimes) cool way-- only a few actually had food present and no, it was not free. Suffice it to say that, as a pack of 6 or 7 girls who showed up with an empty stomach to a food-themed fair, we had a rough start.

We went straight to the American pavilion, since we at least knew they had food trucks (apparently this is our future?). There, we ate mediocre burgers and shrimp rolls that cost the same as a drink at the Armani bar. Seriously? America dropped the ball on this one. The only cool thing about the pavilion itself was the roof top. And only kinda.

I was much more impressed with Khazakistan, which started off with a very talented sand painter, followed by an interactive room about their arable land (I'm talking virtual reality and video games. My kinda pavilion). Finally, you are ushered into a "moving" theater that plays a 3D film as though you were the flying drone. Overall a very impressive display.

While some countries really hit the nail on the head (Holland was ALL food. Mini pancakes dipped in Nutella? I'll take six, please and thank you), others really left much to be desired (I never made it to Mexico, but only because we were told they had no guac...). Overall, it was a very cool experience and a fun way to spend the day with friends, especially after traveling to many of the European countries featured. But if you can't make it out to this shindig, don't fret-- you aren't missing out on too much. In my opinion, save your money for Expo 2017 in Kkazakistan.