IES Abroad Rabat’s Moroccan Wedding!

Meghan Johns

This weekend, IES Abroad Rabat organized a Moroccan wedding for two of our students. The only man in the program this semester, Adam, was too quickly awarded the part of the groom. As for the bride, we drew names. The lucky bride would ultimately be Susanna! IES Abroad arranged for hairdressers to come to the center the morning of the wedding to do all of the girls’ hair and makeup. It ended up being much more extravagant than I expected, and it of course took much longer than they anticipated. But with caked-on makeup and up-dos full of glitter, the show went on.

The wedding ceremony actually took place at my home stay! Everyone each brought a food item and a borrowed kaftan dress from their families’ homes over to mine and my roommate’s house, and we waited for the arrival of the bride and groom. The celebration involved dancing, eating, and photographing the newlyweds. Not all of us get to experience real Moroccan weddings while we are here, so this was a nice glimpse. The wedding seemed pretty legit honestly. There was even a DJ. However, real Moroccan weddings would last until 7:00 am. Not 7:00 pm.

(Please note: No one was actually married during the making of this video.)

The happy couple