Overnight in Uruguay

Max Perkins

In the last week of my semester, I'm trying to balance my desire be with my friends before they all head to the States with the cruel reality of the mountain of work I need to complete for finals. Being the only person in my program staying in Buenos Aires the entire summer break until next semester is a bit strange, and the realization that all of the friends I've made here will be going home is only beginning to set in. We're all making the most of the little time we have together: pretending to study in cafes and trying to get into uptight clubs, cooking subpar pasta dinners, eating ice cream and going for late night walks in parks. A lot of quality time in the last few weeks have been spent with amazing people I won't see for a long time. 

A few weekends ago, I took an overnight trip to Uruguay with a few of these amazing people — Tommy, Nina, and Sarah. We've got the tightest group ever and they are without a doubt my favorite people I've met in Buenos Aires. For her birthday weekend, Sarah planned out the trip to Colonia and Montevideo, and it ended up being my favorite excursion outside of Buenos Aires yet. Uruguay was quaint, quiet, and relaxing in every way I had hoped it would be and was a great last weekend away with our little squad. It's gonna be strange once those guys head back home, but I'll have more time to sulk once I've finished my Argentine environment final paper. 

Springtime in Colonia

Springtime in Colonia 

Colonia, Uruguay

Cherub statue in Montevideo, Uruguay

Cherubs chillin

Montevideo, Uruguay

Old Colonia church

Old Colonia church 

Colonia, Uruguay

Outdoor cafe in Colonia, Uruguay

Pricey specials

Colonia, Uruguay

Ruins of early Portuguese settlements in Colonia, Uruguay

Ruins of early Portuguese settlements

Colonia, Uruguay 

lantern in Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia, Uruguay

Old lighthouse

Old lighthouse

Colonia, Uruguay

Views from the lighthouse  Colonia, Uruguay

Views from the lighthouse

Colonia, Uruguay

Sarah on a lighthouse  Colonia, Uruguay

Sarah on a lighthouse

Colonia, Uruguay

View in lighthouse  Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia, Uruguay

Cheese!

Colonia, Uruguay

Nina gets too close to the lens

Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia, Uruguay

Views from the lighthouse II

Colonia, Uruguay

Just a bit of sand

Montevideo, Uruguay

Sarah and Tommy

Montevideo, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

Marketplace asador

Montevideo, Uruguay

Three kids on a hot rock

Montevideo, Uruguay

Montevideo marketplace

Montevideo, Uruguay

Colonia, Uruguay